(aka Bar-b-que Pineapple – Cauliflower Veggie Burger)
This delicious bar-b-qued burger is incredibly easy and fast to make, so healthy, good for the planet, and always a crowd pleaser. Prep time should be less than 30 minutes.
Whole wheat buns
One pineapple (symbol of Hawaii!)
One cauliflower head (symbol of the snowy peaks of Alaska)
One head of romaine lettuce
One large red onion
And one grill, heated up and ready to go…
Method: Now all you have to do is:
- Clean the outer skin and center from the Pineapple and slice it into 1 inch round slabs (or buy it already prepared this way)
- Clean and cut the cauliflower lengthwise into ½ inch thick “steaks”
- Clean and slice the red onion into ¼ inch thick round disks
On the Grill:
- Place the cauliflower steaks on the grill and give them a good slather of Bar-b-que sauce on each side. Grill on each side for about 5-8 minutes until cooked through.
- Place the pineapple slabs on the grill and flip on both sides but leave them there only long enough to get a quick sizzle and some nice grill marks – 3-5 minutes
- Toast each side of the buns on the grill – always a nice touch.
Assembling the burgers and serving suggestion:
Once everything is cooked and toasted – put a thin layer of Dijon mustard on each bun.
- Layer on one of the bar-b-qued cauliflower steaks
- On top of that place a grilled pineapple slice
- On top of that place a cool crisp piece of romaine lettuce
- And on top of that place a cool disk of red onion (not grilled unless you prefer)
And now you are ready to enjoy an Aloha-Alaska burger!
Have a great 4th!